When you describe something as a "loaf" it tends to throw out an image of something bland, boring and basic. This loaf is anything but! Sitting in the same category as banana bread, my Raspberry and Rum Coconut Loaf is sweet, moist and rather decadent. The combo of rich coconut, tart raspberries and a sweet cream cheese glaze results in the perfect tea-time treat.
I have specifically called for frozen raspberries in this recipe as I like to make it year-round and these berries are not always in season. You can absolutely replace frozen for fresh, but in doing so you must also change the cooking time & temp, as there will not be frozen bits throughout the batter. Try baking at 375°F for 35-45min, or until a toothpick comes out relatively clean, with a few crumbs attached (I increased the temperature to allow for better browning on top).
I like to serve this with a glass of bubbly for brunch, or pair it with a bright, clean whiskey (nothing peaty) for dessert. Enjoy!
Raspberry and Rum Coconut Loaf
- 1 3/4 c. shredded coconut + extra for topping
- 1 1/2 c. coconut milk
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbl coconut rum
- 1 3/4 c. flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 c. frozen raspberries + extra for topping
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 c. powdered sugar
- 2 tsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp coconut rum
- Step 1 Combine shredded coconut and coconut milk in bowl, cover and let stand for 30min.
- Step 2 Preheat oven to 350F and grease a 9"x5" loaf tin
- Step 3 Using a metal spoon, stir sugar, egg, vanilla and coconut rum into your coconut mixture. Add flour, baking powder and salt to the mix and stir to combine.
- Step 4 Gently fold in 1 c. of frozen raspberries, being careful not to over-mix (to prevent your batter from turning pink!)
- Step 5 Pour your batter into the greased loaf tin, top with extra raspberries/coconut flakes and bake at 350F for 45min - 1hr, or until a toothpick comes out somewhat clean with a few moist crumbs attached.
- Step 6 While your loaf is cooling, make your glaze. In a mixing bowl beat together your softened cream cheese and powdered sugar until light and fluffy. Add in your milk, vanilla and coconut rum and combine until your glaze has thinned and is a nice, silky consistency.
- Step 7 Drizzle your glaze over your cooled loaf and serve!